Monday, January 09, 2012

New Year, New Blog

I'm glad you found me again. I really missed not being able to blog, and comment on any blogs. I dunno, blogger went to shit on me and won't let me see my followers list, made it really difficult for me to ever comment on any blogs, and plus there was a "security" breach of my own blog which really upset me and made me feel quite violated, angry, and even self-conscious.

Self-conscious. Huh.
I hope to be a bit more honest in this blog. I'll try to post whenever a "blog" thought pops up in my mind. So that may mean some very short, but frequent posts, but probably also some very long-winded ones.

I've been quite stressed since Christmas, when I was unstoppable around all the sweets. Honestly, I sicken myself thinking about it. At times like that I wish I could purge. :(
But it is a new year, and time to start all over again. No sugary sweets. Little flour products. More vegetarian/vegan meals. MORE FRUIT & VEGGIES!
Easy, right?

One of the girls who babysits for my kids just told me she's pregnant. The poor girl is 17, in 12 grade. She asked me to meet her for coffee so we could talk, since I had been through this. I went and met her before here doctor's appt - and we talked afterwards for about 2 hours. I hope I was helpful and didn't make things worse for her, but I just told her she needed to do what she felt was right for her, and not worry about what other people wanted. Her bf wants an abortion. She hasn't told her parents. I also told her to finish school. Don't drop out with 4 months left. My dumbest mistake ever. I tried to tell her that yes, having a baby will change her life, but it doesn't mean she can't do the things she wanted to accomplish.
I feel like I am under a lot of pressure to say and do the right things to help her. But I really have no idea. I just went along with whatever life threw at me.
And look where I ended up.

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! :) I wish you all the best with your increased fruit and veg intake, I know you can do it and will feel all the better for it. With kids (and fussy husbands) I've found that juices, smoothies (did you know you can hide veggies in them?) and fruit 'ice cream's are the way to go. Also allowing them to choose recipes and in the kitchen helps lots.
    Books and dvds got me through the lack of internet- that and the free wi-fi at mcdonalds haha.
    Of course I can recommend some great cookbooks :)
    I actually did a post on it http://skinny-vegan-food.blogspot.com/2011/10/veganmofo-15-cookbooks.html
    But I can say vegan yum yum and the happy herbivore and the everyday happy herbivore are my favourites. They're quick, easy and healthy. Win win win. Another one I know that goes down well with kids and is on my wish list is the peas and thank you cookbook- I know they'll be great recipes because I read & love her blog.
    I'm sure you helped with your babysitter, sometimes having someone to talk to is what you need to sort out how you really feel. Just being there for her is the right thing to do, try not to stress!
    I hope you have a wonderful new year & blogger starts behaving itself (it went weird for me too but somehow fixed itself?)
    All the very best xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are starting up with blogging again. I personally could never be vegan for sure. I love cheese too much. I don't think I could be vegetarian either. I don't eat a ton of meat but I love my sub sandwiches and if I want meat then I want to eat it. All you really can do is be there for that girl. You were honest and that's probably just what she needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you'll like the HHV cookbooks :) & I hope your daughter will too!
    As far as blenders go I put them on my wedding registry so am spoiled to have a sunbeam blender that looks like this http://www.sunbeam.com.au/products/kitchen/pb7650/ and a kitchen aid food processor http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KFP750PK/- both of which work wonderfully for my fruit 'ice cream' recipes. I've heard chocolate covered katie talk about how much she likes using her magic bullet though so I'm sure they can't be *that* bad. Still, if you're going to want to use it for years i'd splash out a little. The most important thing is treating it well- i.e. pre-chopping things before you blend and defrosting frozen things a little before blending, also pulsing at the start instead of just switching it on full blast (learnt that one the hard way!) All the best blender shopping! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Whatever did become of all my friends?